Protocol version re-negotiation

Rosen, Brian Brian.Rosen at MARCONI.COM
Fri Feb 23 16:38:58 EST 2001

> I think you missed one point: "How does a NON-redundant MG
> upgrade to a
> new version of the protocol?"
It comes down, reboots, and comes up again - it's a service affecting
change.  AFAIK, that's the only way today.

> Can the MG Failover to itself? Will this cause any problems
> in the MGC?
Since that's not a defined option, some MGCs might have a problem.

> To allow this requires only a few changes to the text in RFC3015 as
> follows:
> Section 7.2.8 ServiceChange
> Modify text: "6) Failover - sent from MG to MGC to indicate
> the primary
> MG is out of service and a secondary is taking over, or to indicate a
> version negotiation from the MG."
> Add a Reason: "Version Negotiation" or a more generic "MG Directed
> Change".
> Add text: "The MG may initiate a version negotiation with a
> ServiceChange Command specifying the "Root" for the TerminationID,
> ServiceChangeMethod equal to Failover and ServiceChangeReason equal to
> "Version Negotiation"."
I think that's a scope add, which I for one am reluctant to do.
If there was a real problem with something we already had, that's one thing,
but a real feature add, I'm less thrilled about.  I'll admit some of the
things
we have talked about stray at least close, if not over such a line.  Here,
I think an MG that can do a non-service affecting upgrade which is not
redundant is pretty unusual these days - I don't mean to discourage folks
from doing that, but I also don't feel we need changes in semantics (and
some additional syntax, albeit some IANA registrations) to make it happen,
it can wait for V2.

listserv at mailbag.intel.com