Call for Papers IWDC 2001 on "Evolutionary Trends of the Internet"

Sergio Palazzo spalazzo at IIT.UNICT.IT
Fri Feb 16 03:44:53 EST 2001

Dear Stephan, experts,

thank you for your exact description of the current
situation concerning the H.263 software.

Unfortunately, other parts of your email are quite
confusing I guess. I will try to clarify several points.

First of all - fairness. We consider it unfair to
use a professional, for speed and quality, optimized
version of the software instead of an officially
available H.263/L.
I myself are involved in H.26L standardization, as
you know. It's not a secret. I was involved in H.263
standardization as well. I can't see any unfairness
in working for different groups of the ITU or knowing
other people working for other parts of the organisation.

Several times we stressed the point that the results
have to be reproducible by everybody. An official version
of the software should be used. The test scenario should
be agreed on by both parties. If there is anything missing
to exclude one-sided advantages please let us know.

We are completely aware of possibly technical changes of
H.26L. We are not going to optimize Annex I for any special
video codec. Using it is a pragmatic solution to the problem
of the lack of officially available software for H.263.

>From a university point of view it might look different. For
companies H.263 is reality and H.26L will be the next standard
used in products. Caused by the AAP adopted by the ITU
standards will arrive much earlier at the market now.

Hope this helps everybody to understand our intentions.

Best Wishes
Gero Baese

listserv at mailbag.intel.com