VoIP Traversal of Non-upgraded Firewall & NATs @ IETF

Pete Cordell pete at TECH-KNOW-WARE.COM
Wed Aug 1 05:03:15 EDT 2001

Dear All,

I would like to have a meeting at the IETF (informal BOF?) discussing
methods for VoIP and Multimedia over IP traversing non-upgraded firewalls
and NATs.  These methods are intended to supplement the firewall
architecture, and not require upgrade to existing firewall/NAT components,
or clients (and other infrastructure such as proxies).

There is a draft discussing one proposal at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-davies-fw-nat-traversal-00.txt

If others have ideas in this area, then please contact me and we can arrange
some sort of agenda.  (Although note that I will be out of contact until the
Sunday before the IETF - i.e. this Sunday! - so we might have to organise
this at the IETF.)

I hope the format will be something like:

- Overview presentation of method
- How this is secure and maintains administrator control
- (Repeat for each proposal)
- Collect issues that need to be addressed before going to a formal BOF.

(The modified agenda involves the final item being changed to 'chaos'!)

At this stage I would like to avoid discussion about how this compares to
MidCom and other approaches - such as Rosenberg's - as I think it will
quickly turn into a blood bath.  - We should save that for the formal BOF!

I'm hoping to hold the meeting in:

    The King's Suite/Sandringham 1 on
    Thursday 17:45 -> 18:45,

but I obviously haven't had a chance to check this with the organisers.
Therefore, please look out for final details on the noticeboard, and
probably the door of the King's Suite.

I look forward to seeing you all,

Pete.

(P.S.  Sorry for putting this on the SG16 and TIPHON lists, but I'm well
aware that many of you attend the IETF and I wanted to make sure you had the
opportunity to come along.)

Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware
pete at tech-know-ware.com