Architectures for Multimedia Gateways

Sayre, Clifford L, III (Clifford) clsayre at LUCENT.COM
Fri Apr 20 10:14:39 EDT 2001

Hi, Mike and all:

It is good that we have got Question F/16 in SG16 to address end-to-end QOS
of multimedia systems.

We are now in a position to define the scope of Q.F/16 and then divide the
work according to the scope. We have very good insights, as Mike pointed
out, after looking into all QOS works across all different ITU-T SGs (e.g.,
SG16, SG12, SG13), IETF, TIPHON, and other fora.

Let us bring contributions in accordance to the charter of Q.F/16 (not just
generic contributions) customized per Q.F/16's needs without giving or
citing preferences for any particular groups. In this context, H.323 QOS
will be a subset of the overall QOS protocol that will used by all
multimedia applications.

So, the important mind set is that Q.F/16 will develop the end-to-end QOS
standards that will be used by all multimedia applications/systems including
H.323 (not just only for H.323, IP, or for a particular medium).

Let us bring contributions customizing per Q.F/16's needs.

Hope this will clarify the things.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy