AW: Emergency Services and Service classes

Chip Sharp chsharp at CISCO.COM
Thu Apr 19 10:53:16 EDT 2001

FWIW,
Concerning MLPP's application to packet networks, the following two I-Ds
are currently proposed in IETF SIP WG:

Title: SIP Precedence mapping to MLPP Interworking
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-sip-mlpp-mapping-01.txt
abstract: This document describes an extension to the Session Initiation
Protocol [1] to allow SIP (and IP) into existing Voice Backbone
Infrastructures that require Multi-Level Precedence and Preemption [2]
Service throughout those networks. This document will also allow MLPP
networks that are ISDN-based now to evolve/ migrate or be replaced by a
SIP-based Voice Signaling network with no loss in capability of that
original network. More likely is the case that additional functionality and
capabilities can be realized such as mobility and reduced user headaches
(explained later) with SIP being MLPP enabled within a network infrastructure.

Title: Multi-Level Precedence and Preemption over IP
draft-polk-mlpp-over-ip-00.txt Summary
abstract: This document describes how the ANSI specification T1.619-
1992[1] and its extension T1.619a-1994 [2] should be mapped or correlated
or migrated over to either a mixed TDM and IP network (with Gateways in
between) or a pure IP network that requires the functionality of these two
specs as Standard Operating Procedure.

At 03:35 AM 4/19/2001, Horvath Ernst wrote:
>Roy,
>
>as you say, call priority and QoS are different issues, but over a packet
>network both come down to the same problem, expedited transport of packets
>with minimal packet loss. So the mechanisms used in both cases may well be
>the same.
>
>The ISDN MLPP service is very complex and would be over-kill in a packet
>network which should not run into the same blocking situations as a circuit
>switched network. The complexity of MLPP was also the reason why ISO did not
>adopt it for QSIG (QSIG has a simpler call priority service called CPI, call
>priority interruption).
>
>Regards,
>Ernst Horvath
>Siemens AG

Chip Sharp                       Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems

listserv at mailbag.intel.com