ras address in RRQ/GRQ

Terry L Anderson tla at LUCENT.COM
Fri Apr 13 09:31:10 EDT 2001

This is of course the opposite of H.248 where replies must go to source
address.  But remember that there are requests (as opposed to confirms
and rejects) that are sent from GK to GW and the GK must know what
address to use.  If no rasaddress were registered and ARQs (for example)
came from various port numbers, the GK would have no idea where to send
a DRQ, URQ, IRQ, etc.

rasaddress is not optional in GRQ and so cannot be omitted.  It is
probably not intended to be optional in RRQ although since it is defined
as SEQUENCE OF TransportAddress and SEQUENCES can be of zero length, it
is in effect optional.  A comment probably should be added to make it
required for the above reason.

Terry L Anderson              mailto:tla at lucent.com
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   1704572 at skytel.com
Lucent Technologies/ Voice Over IP Access Networks/ Applications Grp
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla