my address has changed

Euchner Martin Martin.Euchner at ICN.SIEMENS.DE
Wed Sep 20 12:29:39 EDT 2000

Hi, Everyone:

Sorry for not getting into the discussion earlier since I was out of station
for some time. I just logged into my PC and saw your interesting e-mail
discussion on mobility management protocols (in particular between the VLF
and HLF).

I would like to share here some concerns of Radhika Roy on this matter. As
he clearly points out, the HLF and VLF are only value-added functions which
are necessary for handling mobility of users. There is nothing specific in
VLF <-> HLF in terms of mobility with respect packet vs. circuit or
connection oriented vs connectionless, etc.

As you are probably aware of, the IMT-2000 group in ITU-T SG11 is currently
working on developing a common mobility management protocol which should
accomodate various users of different types of mobile systems (e.g. IS-41,
UMTS, etc). This is the well known FAMILY  concept in ITU-T SG11. SG16 and
SG11 had one joint meeting in the last Feb'00 in Geneva. During this
meeting, this mobility protocol work was briefly introduced by SG 11 and it
was recognized that the requirements & major concepts identified for
mobility in H.323 networks are very similar to those of IMT-2000 (since
IMT-2000 should also provide packet-based multi-media services), and a close
cooperation between these two groups is required on mobility and roaming
aspects for the benefits of H.323 and IMT-2000 systems. In addition, this
will allow the roaming of any users between different types of network (for
instance an H.323 user roaming into an IS-41 or UMTS network and
vice-versa). Therefore, I tend to disagree with Jaakko who says that
IMT-2000 is not defining (or intended for) packet-based networks. For
instance the concept of VLF and HLF are pretty much close to those of the
LMFv and LMFh in IMT-2000 (see ITU-T Rec. Q.1711) for the strict reason that
they are both server functions which handle mobility independently of the
transport networks. Then why not a common protocol for common mobility
requirements and functions? On the other hand, I agree that Extensions of
H.323 (e.g. H.225.0 [RAS, Q.931, Annex G]) need to be provided by Q.13/16
since they are very specific to the H.323 type of access.

Again, I would like to support Radhika in his analysis of trying to develop
a common solution that fits the need of any type of mobile users rather than
developing one VLF <-> HLF protocol for H.323, one VLF <-> HLF for H.321,
etc. Otherwise, it will be a BIG mess for network operators (as well for
manufacturers) and lead to have different protocols which may be
incompatible between themselves. This will also make the inter-networking
aspects very tough thereby preventing any global roaming of users.

FYI, I would also like to inform you that 3GPP has selected SIP for its
MULTIMEDIA stuff. In this case, how would it be possible to roam between a
3GPP network and H.323 network, and with other networks (not using
SIP)unless an inter-connecting pipe such as a common MM protocol (which
includes SIP mobility, H.323 mobility, IS-41 mobility, etc) is developed.

Therefore, I would suggest that we should rather work with a more global
picture of ITU (as supported by Radhika) than a narrow one limited to H.323
mobility only.

Let me more positive now. I would really encourage SG16 and SG11 to closely
cooperate together in order to develop this common protocol jointly for the
success of ITU. I believe that this step has already started at the joint
SG16-SG11 meeting in February 00. Why shoudn't be continued?

Best regards,

Jean-Claude Samou, PhD
France Telecom R&D
38-40, rue du General Leclerc