RTP port for sending media

Nadathur, Srivathsan G (Srivathsan) snadathur at LUCENT.COM
Thu Sep 14 12:56:09 EDT 2000

Also, I remember H.245 spec implying that RTCP is not a mandatory
requirement. Could someone clarify.

Thanks
Srivathsan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul E. Jones [mailto:paulej at packetizer.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 12:20 PM
To: Anatoli Levine
Cc: h323implementors at imtc.org; ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
Subject: Re: RTP port for sending media

Anatoli, et al,

I agree that it would be very helpful for NAT devices or other equipment to
be able to safely rely on receiving media from the specified RTP port that
is one lower than the RTCP port advertised in the original OLC message.  I
thought that was the expected behavior when using RTP/RTCP, but recent
discussions with folks working on SIP is that "no, that's not necessarily
true."  Apparently, it is believed that a SIP device may send RTP from any
port.

So, if you have a line like this in the INVITE message:
    m=
to indicate a bi-directional media flow, the RTP address is interpreted only
as the "receive" address.  But then I questioned, "what about the fact that
the associated RTCP port (next odd port) is used for receiving RR packets..
would that not suggest that the RTP port for sending is also the same port
specified in this 'm=' line?"

The answer was 'no'.  So this made me curious about H.323 implementations.

Do we need to clarify that the RTP port used to send data associated with
the RTCP address in an OLC is the next lower port (even) number, or do we
have implementations out there that send RTP traffic from and random port,
irrespective of the RTCP port put in the forwardLogicalChannelParameters of
the OLC message?  If the latter is the case, I think we need to state this
clearly, too.

Thanks,
Paul