[H.323 Mobility:] H.323 Annex H status check

Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO rrroy at ATT.COM
Fri Sep 8 10:22:43 EDT 2000

Hi, Everyone:

The draft does not contain the basic part: Extensions of H.323 (e.g.,
H.225.0 messages). Contributions are there (e.g., D.354 of SG16 Feb'00,
Geneva - reproduced as TD-31 in Portland [August 21-15, 2000]). GRQ messages
need to be removed to the base spec of H.323 because there is nothing
specific to be done with mobility. If it is used in the context of mobility,
the issues related to mobile need to be pointed out so that contributions
can be brought to address those issues. Contributions are there to note the
issues.

The another suggestion is to make two parts of the Annex: 1. Basic extension
of H.323 (H.225.0, H.245: Terminals, GKs/BEs, GWs) and 2. Back-end services
related to Mobility (or value-added services related mobility)containing VLF
and HLF.

Part 2 clearly does not have to be specific to H.323. It is a general
service related to mobility. Every application that needs mobility may like
to use these services. This will be addressed in the light of the all mobile
applications of all questions of all SGs of the ITU-T. So, it is
out-of-scope of Q.13/16 because Q.13/16 alone cannot makes this decision.

Please note that Security (AuF) is also needed for the fixed users. So, this
is a generic service that needs to be developed for both fixed and mobile
users. So, it also belongs to the base H.323 spec. That is, any
specification related to AuF should be moved to the base H.323 spec as well
because it belong to both and the standard should be developed accordingly.

For rapid determination, I would suggest to address part 1 only in the first
phase.

More specific technical comments will be given for each point once the
primary objectives are clarified.

Best regards,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T