response to open letter from Tom Taylor

Sebestyen Istvan ICN M CS 27 Istvan.Sebestyen at ICN.SIEMENS.DE
Tue Sep 5 06:20:58 EDT 2000

Dear Colleagues,

I fully agree with the comments made by Dale Skran, and this was also the
essence what he said in the Welches, OR meeting - in his usual humorous, but
occasionally a bit provocative way (that, by the way, I personally love so
much...).

The subject, as it came up also in the Oregon meeting, is very important,
can not and should not be ignored (this was supported by several people). As
I have pointed out already in the Osaka meeting, large companies seems to be
divided on the subject (so nobody is blaming here anybody). The "enterprise"
side of those very same companies favour very clearly the H.323 mobility,
while the "mobile carrier" side supports (rightly or wrongly, that the
discussion point) the SIP based solution. As it was pointed out, originally
the requirement for the SIP based solution came from the carriers (e.g. MCI
Worldcom come to my mind), so from our customers, who are the kings...but,
as a matter of fact they were then supported by a few supporting
contributions coming from manufacturers. By this development the
"enterprise" and the "mobile carrier" solution are likely to develop
separately, which is not too good for compatibility and interoperability.

Kind regards,
Istvan Sebestyen
Dr. Istvan Sebestyen
Siemens AG, ICN M CS27,
Hofmannstr. 51, D-81359 Munich, Germany
Tel:+49-89-722-47230
Fax:+49-89-722-47713
E-Mail office: istvan.sebestyen at icn.siemens.de; istvan at sebestyen.de
E-mail private: istvan_sebestyen at yahoo.com;
Siemens Intranet:http://intranet.siemens.de/marketing/cs27/
Siemens FTP:    ftp://mchhpn006a.mch.pn.siemens.de/standards

listserv at mailbag.intel.com