Error in H.323v3 ASN.1

Logan Modahala lmodahal at CISCO.COM
Mon Oct 9 12:53:30 EDT 2000

Paul,

With extension addition fields, I do understand that the encoding is
OpenType and the OpenType field's encoding length is included. But my
point is that if the field is encoded by the peer EP, how does the ASN.1
decoder know whether to
ignore the entire field or decode the OpenType field. If the field is to
be ignored, then fine. If the field is not to be ignored, the the types
must match between the two entities for a field occupying the same
position in the ordering.

What you are proposing can only be achieved if the ASN.1 compiler
supports a directive(such as the RELAXPER decoder flag) to inform the
encode/decode library to ignore a particular field.

I am not sure if I will support this, though. Personally, H323v3 is in
it early stage and let us correct it the right way. We have been in this
situation.

- Logan

listserv at mailbag.intel.com