Error in H.323v3 ASN.1

Paul E. Jones paulej at PACKETIZER.COM
Sun Oct 22 02:45:33 EDT 2000

Folks,

I heard a number of comments from people expressing their concerns over this
matter.  I believe that most people just want to have a resolution, rather
than debate the technical merits of one solution or another.

I know that a few people will not like this, but my recommendation is that
we correct H.225.0v3.  I believe that this would be the fairest solution,
given that there are H.323v2 implementations in the field which expect the
ASN.1 encoding as detailed in the H.323v2 implementers guide and which is
inconsistent with H.323v3.  While H.323v3 has been decided for a year now,
it seems that products are just now emerging, so the impact is less
significant.

Bear in mind that my recommendation is merely that: a recommendation.  I
will present my recommendation at the Rapportuer's meeting and/or the ITU-T
SG16 meeting in November.  The final decision on this matter will not be
official until that time.

However, I would rather have the support of the H.323 community now, rather
than a month from now, so that those interested parties trying to bring
their H.323v3 products to market can rest assured that their ASN.1 syntax is
final.

I have already updated my copy of the Implementers Guide and the ASN.1 file
for H.225.0v3 on Packetizer to reflect my proposed change (see
http://www.packetizer.com/iptel/h323/h2250v3.asn).

Again, this change is intended to be "fair", giving consideration to
equipment that is older and already in the field, which is almost always
more difficult to change than recently released or emerging products.  In
addition, the error here truly is in H.225.0v3, not H.225.0v2, so it is more
logical to make the correction in H.225.0v3.

Best Regards,
Paul