difficulty within the UCLA proposal "Generic Uneven Level Protection(ULP)"

Adam H. Li adamli at ICSL.UCLA.EDU
Sun Oct 8 09:11:08 EDT 2000

Dear Mr. Gero,

Thank you very much for your email. However, under the situation you
discribed, the statement does hold.

In the example illustrated by Figure 1 of APC-1905, the second part of the
Packet #3 is not protected by ULP #2. Indeed, it is not protected by any
ULP. In this example, if Packet #3 is lost, the second part will not be
recoverable no matter the first part is recoverable or not. The statement
does hold in the situation you described.

The statement about the grouping rules in the document is describing one
mportant general principles for any efficient forward error correction
scheme. It is nice to know that Mr. Gero agrees on the same principle. We
are not intending to claim that the grouping rules in APC-1905 absolutely
guarantees the property, however, the scheme described in APC-1905 is much
more efficient in this aspect than most interleaving schemes. For example,
in a interleaving scheme proposed in APC-1841, even correctly transmitted
data will have to be discarded because of the holes in rearranged packets.

Hope this helps. If you have any more difficulties, I would be happy to
answer.

Adam

Adam H. Li, Ph.D.
Image Communication Lab                     (310) 825-5178 (Lab)
University of California, Los Angeles       (310) 825-7928 (Fax)