Third party registration/group registration

Paul Long plong at PACKETIZER.COM
Thu Nov 30 13:22:17 EST 2000

Chris,

(You and I inadvertently replied to each other privately. I thought I'd
clean my email up a bit :-) and post it to the reflector.)

As you point out, gatekeepers are optional, but an endpoint may not be
registered with a gatekeeper (hence, an "unregistered endpoint"). I also
agree with you that an endpoint must implement and be able to use RAS. The
tricky part, though, is under what circumstances _shall_ an endpoint use
RAS, i.e., at least attempt to register with a gatekeeper. It may come down
to a rather philosophical question. If an endpoint is required to use RAS in
any way and ultimately discover and register with a gatekeeper only if there
is a gatekeeper in the "system," how does it know whether there is a
gatekeeper within the system without using RAS? Look like a Catch-22, but my
take on it is that whether a gatekeeper is in the system must be known out
of band. That's the only way I know of to resolve these otherwise
contradictory issues.

Smith Micro builds endpoints that can be used in systems with and without
gatekeepers. Because this vendor does not know whether the system within
which the user will be deploying the endpoint contains a gatekeeper, the
user presumably knows and has the discretion as whether to use RAS via a
Preferences dialog in the user interface. I think that's reasonable and
compliant. Some vendors may build endpoints that are designed to always be
used within systems that contain gatekeepers, and that's fine, too, and
compliant. However, IMO, besides probably being a bad marketing decision
:-), an endpoint that does not support RAS at all is not compliant.

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.