H.323 MIB definition

Hans Viens hviens at MEDIATRIX.COM
Wed Nov 29 11:34:28 EST 2000

Charles,

> The IWF (SIP-H.323 gateway) may terminate data (voice, video, data) if it
> determines that the call cannot go from end-to-end.  An entity outside of
> the IWF may perform this function on behalf of the IWF.  In this case, this
> entity would be under the influence of the IWF.
Right.  But my point is that for a registration is to be called "third-party",
the IWF would have NO part in the proceedings other than the registration
stage.  You appear to be ignoring my point about what entity is handling
H.225.0/Q.931 and/or H.245 signalling, which I feel is the crucial part of what
would make a registration "third-party".

> By *true* H.323 entities, I meant an entity that *speaks* ONLY H.323.   The
> IWF represents non-H.323 entities on the H.323 network.
Your "*true*" H.323 entity is an unusual beast indeed, given that the majority
of H.323 devices around are either gateways (speaking another protocol) or
PC-based (in which they generally "*speak*" large varieties of protocols for
different purposes.  In fact you restrict your definition of "*true*" H.323
entities to standalone IP phones.  The fact that a device supports protocols
other than H.323 does NOT make it any the less a "*true*" H.323 device in any
reasonable definition of the word "true".

> You are right, additive registration is NOT third-party registration.   Can
> it be used as a means to achieve scalable third-party registration?
Additive registrations can, I believe, be used to achieve what you are trying
to achieve.  I don't believe it can be used to achieve what _I_ understand as
third-party registration.  Our disagreement is around the definition of the
term "third-party registration", the difference in our definitions causing
confusion.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that so far I believe consensus is with my
definition (third-party registration as one H.323 entity registering on behalf
of other entities which are H.323 except in their inability or unwillingness to
register themselves with a gatekeeper) rather than yours (a gateway registering
any device using any protocol with an H.323 gatekeeper).  I will then promptly
duck as I wait for the flack to fly!

Regards,
Chris

listserv at mailbag.intel.com