Third party registration/group registration

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Thu Nov 30 04:42:48 EST 2000

Charles,

In your definition of "third-party" registration, consider a scenario involving
four entities: an H.323 endpoint (A), an H.323 gatekeeper (B), a
gateway/IWF/registering-entity (C) and an entity of some sort on whose behalf C
is registering (which we'll call D).  Assuming that B is not routing
call-signalling, to which entity would A send its "Setup" message in order to
contact D?

If the answer to this question is "C", this is well-covered in the standard -
it is simply that the term "third-party registration" is not used for it.  It
is simply viewed as C registering (potentially) lots of aliases.  This
parallels Tom's second case.
If the answer is "D" (parallelling Tom's first case), then D is a very odd
device (it can't be a full H.323 implementation or it would register for
itself).  Why have a device implementing all of H.323 except gatekeeper
registration?  After all, D would have to handle all the rest of RAS for itself
- what would it be gaining by not registering on its own behalf?

In the same scenario, to what entities are you referring, respectively, as the
"third-party" in your latest contribution?

PLEASE clarify your definitions of "first-party" and "third-party" in cases
where you use these terms.  I am certain that the ends you are trying to
achieve are perfectly possible - and not even that hard.  Either will result, I
believe, in a brief discussion with early consensus emerging.  I believe the
problems, and the large amount of mail this is generating on this list, come
about entirely from the use of these terms without anyone understanding exactly
what is meant by them.

I agree with Tom that once we can agree on terminology we can move on quite
easily, and thank him for his usual high-quality clear-sighted input.

Regards,
Chris

------------------------------------

The registration feature allows endpoints to bind their identities to transport
address(es) at the GK.  This is well described in H.323.   When an endpoint
delegates another endpoint to perform this fearture on its behalf the
definition in H.323 is not there.   The signaling that follows the registration
whether, its
first or third-party may interrogate this binding.  The third-party
registration feature can enhance the user experience much more than a normal
first-party
registration.   I don't believe that the third-party has to be in the signaling
flow that may follow the third-registration.   I agree with Tom-PTs view.

Best regards,

charles