Draft Status Update

Agboh, Charles Charles.Agboh at GTS.COM
Mon Nov 27 14:09:22 EST 2000

Paul,

The "sip" option shouild be used by an H.323-SIP gateway if such a
code-point was available ( following the example you gave, the "h323"option
would not be *correct* for an H.323-SIP gw ).  In light of this, should
there be a code-point  ("sip") for SIP (it is no longer a nonStandard
protocol)in H.323v5?

charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul E. Jones [mailto:paulej at packetizer.com]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 7:56 PM
To: Agboh, Charles; 'Wong, Walter'; 'Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO'; Wang, Dave;
VPalawat at opuswave.com; kns10 at cs.columbia.edu
Cc: joon_maeng at vtel.com; hemantag at globespan.net;
schulzrinne at cs.columbia.edu; alan.johnston at wcom.com; David Daiker
Subject: Re: Draft Status Update

Charles,

"voice" is supposed to be used by voice gateways.
"h323" is supposed to be used by H.323-H.323 GWs (proxies).

BTW, it should be noted that "supportedPrefixes" does *not* indicate what
E.164 prefixes a gateway can reach.  some implementers have interpreted it
that way and others have interpreted it to indicate "service prefixes", such
as dialing "9" to reach an outside line.  The latter definition is the
correct interpretation.

H.323v4 now has fields that are there specifically for registering E.164
address ranges.

Paul