On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Francois Audet audet at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Mon May 29 23:00:50 EDT 2000

Yes, a few comments:
1 It seems that all current implementations that we could think of
  would simply ignore the tunnelling information if the fastStart
  element is present. This means, that there would be no
  interoperability problems. Fast start would be sucessfull, but not
  tunnelling, which would mean that tunnelling would have to happen
  after the SETUP message, as per H.323v2 and v3.
2 There is a small possibility that an implementation would acutally
  give priority to the tunnelling information instead of the fastStart
  element (v2 and v3 don't say what would happen if they are present, they
  just say not to do it). In that particular case, the fastStart would fail
  but the tunnelling would be successful. So the worst case scenario is that
  fastStart fails, but "fast tunnelling" is successful. This doesn't seem to

  me to be a real interoperability problem. In any case, it seems that case
  1 is much more likely.