AVC-1798 and AVC-1799 - H.248 Annex F uploaded

Gunnar Hellstrom gunnar.hellstrom at OMNITOR.SE
Tue May 9 01:51:31 EDT 2000

Tim,

Do you not believe that by adding a sequence number to various H.245
messages will unnecessarily increase the complexity of the H.323
application?  If you look at what you have proposed, it puts a much heaver
burden on the application logic-- new timers, "re-tries" (possibly), etc.
The application will have to handle connection tear-down and
re-establishment-- and the procedure for re-establishment is not clear.

What happens if a routing entity in the network re-routes the call and now
there is no longer end-to-end robustness?  Do you care or do you just
continue thinking that such robustness is in place?

What about re-transmission of H.225.0 messages that might be used for
tunneling or performing some other type of service (e.g., Annex L services)?
Do those not also need acknowledgement?

Would it not be cleaner to have a separate layer between the application and
the transport to handle these issues?  I've suggested that before--
essentially, we could have a robustness wrapper around H.323 messages, which
isolates the application from the underlying complexity.  I realize that one
concern with such a "generic" approach is that there may be more messages on
the wire.  However, I believe we have to give somewhere and reach a
compromise between application complexity and signaling noise.

Of course, I say that and then you can immediate say that "we're only
requiring ACKs to a small set of messages", so the complexity is minimized.
That's true, but it does require additional state and timers, re-tries, and
connection re-establishment logic in the application layer.

Some were arguing for a "bulletin board" approach.  I missed the last
meeting, so I missed much of that discussion.  From the e-mail, I gather
that the intent is that for every message that arrives at a signaling point,
it will send that message to a peer before forwarding in on.  I need some of
the gaps filled in, but it seems like that scheme will result in no fewer
messages, but I can see some benefits, because the communication between the
two signaling points could done in such ways as to prevent "flooding" the
network with excess signaling-- there are several proprietary communication
mechanisms that can be employed for this task.

I don't know if the "bulletin board" approach is better or worse, but
hopefully we can try to cover all of these issues tomorrow.

BTW, thanks for writing this document-- this was very much needed as a
starting point for discussion.  I know that my e-mail doesn't seem to be
terribly friendly to the idea, but that was not my intent.  My e-mails are
often terse and it's getting late (or early?) ;-)

Paul