upload of apc-1823

Bob Gilman rrg at LUCENT.COM
Thu May 4 12:51:33 EDT 2000

This discussion is only true if we do NOT use DDP/bulletin board for message
integrity.  I know that most have rejected this, but let me explore the use of
BB for this.

Here is what I have in mind.  We use one BB for call state and a second BB for
message passing state.  Looking only at the message state BB here is the call
flow (this is harder to show in ASCII):

GW1---msg--->GK1
             GK1----------------msg------>GK2
             GK1--msg cpy-->BB
             GK1<--DDP ack--BB
GW1<-DDP ack-GK1
             GK1<-----DDP ack-------------GW2
             GK1--msg clear->BB
             GK1<--DDP ack--BB
The extra msgs are
1. copy of orig msg to BB with Ack
2. msg clear message to BB with Ack

The alternative with end-to-end ack is:
GW1---msg--->GK1
GW1<--ack----GK1
             GK1-----msg--->GK2
             GK1<----ack----GK2
                            GK2---msg-->etc
                            GK2<--EoEack--
                            GK2--EoEack-ack->
             GK1<---EoEack--GK2
             GK1-EoEack-ack->GK2
GW1<-EoEack--GK1
GW1-EoEack-ack>GK1

I am showing both the DDP ack (to be consistent with first example) and the
End-to-End ack.  The number of messages (not counting those from GW2 on which
are shown in the second example only to illustrate when the EoEack comes) is
exactly the same (8 msg among GW1,GK1,GK2). The only difference is that the msg
copy from GK1 to BB is larger than the extra acks, but GW (in most cases the
more limited resource) must treat more messages in the second case.

Terry L Anderson              mailto:tla at lucent.com
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   1704572 at skytel.com
Lucent Technologies/ Voice Over IP Access Networks/ Applications Grp
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla