On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Tue May 30 10:55:45 EDT 2000

Francois,

Tunneling and Fast Connect are orthogonal to each other. I can't find where
v2 or v3 says that they cannot be done in parallel. As a matter of fact,
this is how we implemented it. We are now very aggressive with call setup.
What specific problems are there with doing them at the same time? We
haven't found any.

From: Francois Audet [mailto:audet at NORTELNETWORKS.COM]
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 10:01 PM
To: ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
Subject: Re: On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Yes, a few comments:
1 It seems that all current implementations that we could think of
  would simply ignore the tunnelling information if the fastStart
  element is present. This means, that there would be no
  interoperability problems. Fast start would be sucessfull, but not
  tunnelling, which would mean that tunnelling would have to happen
  after the SETUP message, as per H.323v2 and v3.
2 There is a small possibility that an implementation would acutally
  give priority to the tunnelling information instead of the fastStart
  element (v2 and v3 don't say what would happen if they are present,
they
  just say not to do it). In that particular case, the fastStart would
fail
  but the tunnelling would be successful. So the worst case scenario is
that
  fastStart fails, but "fast tunnelling" is successful. This doesn't
seem to
  me to be a real interoperability problem. In any case, it seems that
case
  1 is much more likely.

listserv at mailbag.intel.com