On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Tue May 30 10:37:39 EDT 2000

Paul,

The behavior is NOT not defined. In fact, an H.323v2 or v3 EP receiving a
Setup message containing both a fastStart and h245Control component _shall_
respond with ReleaseComplete, thus terminating the call. This is defined in
Q.931 (see below) and not otherwise countermanded by H.225.0 or H.323.
Further, it follows that an EP which does not terminate the call is not
compliant. Since the calling EP cannot know the version of the called EP
before it sends Setup, I recommend that this v4 "feature" be removed from
the Recommendation or at least deprecated and that it not be implemented.

5.8.6.2/Q.931: When a SETUP or RELEASE message is received which has one or
more mandatory information elements with invalid content, a RELEASE COMPLETE
message with cause No. 100, “invalid information element contents” shall be
returned."

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.