FW: MEGACO errata

Chip Sharp chsharp at CISCO.COM
Fri May 26 16:40:49 EDT 2000

In your email "Changes made in Geneva" is the following cryptic statement:
...snip...
>Annex A.2
>  -- comment sets initial version to 1
>  -- mtpAddress size corrected
...snip...

I don't remember what this meant and I don't remember much of Geneva, but I
seem to remember this issue coming up somewhere.  Hopefully this will give
you a pointer to start with.

Chip

At 03:08 PM 5/26/00 -0500, Tom-PT Taylor wrote:

>I'm forwarding this to the SG 16 list copy the Megaco list because I think
>the MTP address was firmed up at Red Bank.  Can anyone account for the
>failure to accommodate longer MTP addresses?  Was it simply because the
>intention was to use Annex I transport within an ITU environment only?
>-----Original Message-----  From:   dacollins at notes.primeco.com
>[SMTP:dacollins at notes.primeco.com]  Sent:   Friday, May 26, 2000 1:03
>PM  To:     Taylor, Tom-PT [NORSE:B901:EXCH]  Subject:        MEGACO errata
>

>Hi Tom,  Having had a look at the latest version of the MEGACO spec, I
>noticed something  odd. The mId may be an MTP address. However, the MTP
>address is defined in both  the ABNF and ASN.1 specifications as being 2
>octets in length. The ASN.1  description provides a comment that the point
>code (PC) is 14 bits and the  network indicator (NI) is two bits.  This is
>only correct for the ITU version of SS7.  In several countries, different
>versions of SS7 are used and different  addressing schemes are used. In
>many countries, including the US, Canada and  China, the PC is 24 bits
>long, with the NI still at two bits, for a total of 26  bits. Therefore,
>to use an MTP address for the mId in those countries, the  definition of
>the mId needs to change.
>
>I hope this helps in finalizing the spec.
>
>Daniel Collins

Chip Sharp                 CTO Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
http://www.netaid.org

listserv at mailbag.intel.com