Use of IRR by Gateways

Rich Bowen rkbowen at CISCO.COM
Thu Mar 30 18:03:30 EST 2000

Paul (Long),

I think the issue is your recommendation to implementors:

Paul Long wrote:
> Reports from the field indicate that many (most?) EPs don't ever encode
> perCallInfo (Smith Micro does) and conversely most (all?) GKs don't ever
> look at the field anyway. IMO, this field is therefore useless. My
> recommendation to you is to simply ignore that field. Apparently IRR is
> _only_ used as a heartbeat indication.

The IRR may be used only as a heartbeat for terminals, but it is
a useful audit tool for gateways.  My recommendation to
implementors would be to *include* the perCallInfo, and leave it
up to the GK to decide whether or not it's important.  When the
standard is not clear, it's better for implementors to align
with the intention of the standard, if they can determine that
intention.  I think the intention is pretty clear in this case.

Rich