FastStart and payload size

Shan Lu slu at nextone.com
Thu Mar 16 15:59:25 EST 2000

Add my two cents to _maximum_ vs _exact_ framing.

I think it is important that an endpoint take the number of frames in
OLC to mean the MAXIMUM frames that it expects to receive. In other
words, an EP should be able to receive packets that contain anywhere
from 1 to MAX. number of voice frames. The reason is that if I am doing
multiframes per packet and I am using the built-in VAD/CNG of G.723.1 or
G.729, I have no control over where the transition from voice to silence
occurs. The number of voice frames per packet will inevitably change. To
keep the number of frames per packet constant, I'll have to wait till
the next talk spurt, which is not much an option. This actually brings
up another constraint on the packet, i.e., all frames in a packet should
represent consecutive voice frames.

Regards,

Shan Lu

NexTone Communications