[H.323Mobility:] Procedures & Current Status of the H.323 Mob ilit y Ad Hoc Group

Jaakko Sundquist jaakko.sundquist at NOKIA.COM
Thu Mar 23 08:33:35 EST 2000

Hi again,

I just forgot to mention one of our working procedures:
*       All contributions for the teleconferences must be submitted one week
before the teleconference.

Jaakko Sundquist           *
+358 50 3598281            * Audere est Facere!
jaakko.sundquist at nokia.com *

From:   EXT Jaakko Sundquist [mailto:jaakko.sundquist at nokia.com]
Sent:   23. March 2000 14:38
To:     ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
Subject:        [H.323Mobility:] Procedures & Current Status of the H.323
Mobilit y Ad Hoc Group

Hi all,

We are going to have the first teleconference since the February meeting
today and I thought it would be a good idea to go through the status of the
mobility work as well as the procedures we have agreed to follow with this
work. I know this is quite short notice for today's teleconference
(especially for those in the west coast of the USA), but I wouldn't want to
spend too much time on these issues in the teleconference, so I'm sending
them by mail. Comment, if you wish!

Status of the H.323 Mobility work:
*       A sceleton for the H.323 Annex H has been agreed by the ad hoc
group. This sceleton is by no means the final "table of contents" for the
annex, but at least it gives guidelines for the future work as well as makes
it easier for the contributors to point out the specific parts of the annex
that they want to address in their contributions.
*       H.246 Annex E was determined in the February meeting in Geneva.
Still the annex is not quite ready and contributions will surely be welcome
(I feel I can say this much on behalf of the editor of the annex, Mr.
Reddy).

Procedures to be followed by the ad hoc group members:
*       We have chosen Mr. Paul Guram of Motorola as the unofficial
moderator for the teleconferences between the Geneva and Osaka meetings. Mr
Guram will assign the MD-numbers for the contributions to the
teleconferences as well as act as the chairman during the conferences. We
acknowledge the fact that neither the ad hoc group nor Mr. Guram as its
unofficial moderator has any formal position inside ITU, but for the sake of
progressing with the mobility work, the ad hoc group members (i.e. anyone
who wishes to take part in the work) are encouraged to treat Mr. Guram as
the chairman in the teleconferences.
*       At some point, we decided to include a prefix "[H.323Mobility:]" in
the beginning of the subject of each mail sent to the SG16 reflector
concerning the mobility issues. I think this is a good practice and we
should continue following it.
*       We will agree on the issues to be discussed in each teleconference
beforehand. These issues will be discussed first and if there is enough time
for other issues (which in general, I really doubt), they will be bought up
afterwards. I.e. the issue for today's teleconference was supposed to be the
identification of Tiphon-style scenarios for H.323 Mobility work (and
agreeing for them to be listed in the H.323 Annex H) as well as choosing one
of these scenarios as the first one to be addressed. It seems, however, that
only one contribution for today's teleconference is addressing these issues.

Suggestion for the future work schedule:
*       We will hopefully be able to agree on the scenarios today and choose
the all-H.323 (or all-IP, whichever it will be called) as the first scenario
to be addressed (this really has been the implicit first case so far anyway,
but we probably need to formalize that).
*       Two contributions dealing with the "Locating a Gatekeeper" -issues
have been brought forward for today's teleconference. Since this issue was
not in the agenda for today, we will need to come back to it later (for
other companies to be able to contribute on this), although I presume we
will have time to discuss about the contributions today. Thus, I would
suggest that these information flows would be one of the issues for the next
teleconference.
*       Another issue I would suggest for the next teleconference is to
identify first the typical composite network elements (i.e. "boxes"
including a set of the functionalities defined in the H.323 Annex H
architecture). By doing this we would find the most relevant interfaces to
be addressed and standardized first (quite the same way as H.225.0 Annex G
has defined some of the interfaces in the first version, but not all).

I guess that is all for now. I'll try to send some comments for the Intel
and AT&T contributions already before the teleconference if I have time, but
you'll be hearing from me in the teleconference at the latest...