MWI - Message Waiting Indication

Bob Gilman rrg at LUCENT.COM
Wed Mar 22 15:03:57 EST 2000

Boaz-
I think Markku described the mechanism for MWI signalling to
an Annex L terminal correctly: the Voice Mail server could
communicate via H.450.7 with the endpoint's feature server,
which would then signal the endpoint via Annex L.  This is
essentially what we do today with different (proprietary)
protocols.  Basically, the GK/feature server "translates".
Note that there can be a significant time gap between the
events (depending on implementation): the VM server notifies
the feature server that a message is waiting for user X;
later, user X registers, establishes a signalling channel,
and gets the news from the FS.
-Bob
Bob Gilman       rrg at lucent.com     (303)538-3868