Errors / ambiguities / problems found in specs at last, Re: Errors / ambiguities / problems found in specs at last

Jane Hua huajane at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 14 13:48:27 EST 2000

Dear Mr. Gene,

There is an assumption in your theory that the
endpoint may be doing a favor to the network by
providing frequent keep alives. But, What I feel is,
the TTL specified by the endpoint is the value it
seems, it is going to be alive. (The definition of
being alive here may mean the agreement duration with
the service provider or it may be the time for which
you are present in the cyber cafe...). This way, the
endpoint is telling that it intends to use the
services of the Gatekeeper for this much duration.
   Now, the Gatekeeper, in opposition to this, may say
that I need to know every nth minute that you are
still there. The reason may be, every nth minute, the
gatekeeper will like to change the security
information. By forcing the endpoint to reregister
every nth second, it can change the security
information.
   And, as you yourself have said that the Gatekeeper
has better knowledge of the condition of the network.
So, given the maximum time the EP wants to work with
the gatekeeper, the GK may select the optimum value of
the TTL, which will always be less than or equal to
the TTL asked by the EP.

Please point out any mistake in this description.Your
comments are most welcome.

Regards,
Jane

Chris,

I agree that the scenario you mention (of the endpoint
asking for a larger
TTL than the gatekeeper wants) is the expected and
most common one by far.
However, there might be endpoints who believe they are
doing the network a
favor by providing frequent keep-alives (or who
believe their status to be
more important than the gatekeeper does).  So in a
case where the client
says "my registration TTL is 5 seconds, and of course
I'll be notifying you
every 5 seconds that I'm still alive because I'm sure
you will want to
know," it is reasonable for the gatekeeper to respond
with "no, please, your
registration is good for 10 minutes, no need to burden
yourself sending
those keep-alives so frequently, really, I insist"
(sort of like telling
your kids to stop asking "are we there yet?" every 30
seconds while on a 2
hour trip).  Of course, the endpoint might not get the
hint and send
keep-alives every 5 seconds anyhow.  If the endpoint
does get the hint, but
is insulted by the insinuation, it could unregister
and find someone else to
play with (just as if the gatekeeper assigned the
endpoint aliases it didn't
like).  This would seem to lead to better
interoperability than to have the
gatekeeper reject the RRQ, particularly since there is
no explicit RRJ
reason code to tell the endpoint what the problem is.
Of course, the
standard doesn't support this TTL negotiation
scenario, but it still seems
reasonable to me.

As I said, I believe that this really isn't much of a
problem in practice,
but the same issue has come up in other places.  Like
many other H.323
procedures, it's really just a simple case of the
gatekeeper trying to use
its broader knowledge of the network/service to manage
it as effectively as
possible, and for the endpoints to be good citizens
and assume the
gatekeeper knows best.

Gene

Study Group 16
Chris Wayman Purvis
> Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 12:38 PM
> To: ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
> Subject: Re: Errors / ambiguities / problems found
in specs at
> lastweek'sinterop
>

> Gene,
>
> It Simply Doesn't Work Like That.
>
> The endpoint WOULD be honouring the request if it
sent RRQs "too
> frequently",
> by sending keepalive RRQs at least as often as
requested - which
> is what the
> time the gatekeeper gives in RCF asks of it.
> In principle endpoints should give a time they think
is
> incredibly long in RRQ
> (essentially they're saying "my timers will get
confused if you
> ask them to run
> longer than this!"), and the gatekeeper cuts them
down to size,
> saying "if you
> want to live in MY zone you'll behave yourself and
renew your
> registration at
> least THIS often.".  There is NO way in the standard
that a
> gatekeeper can ask
> an endpoint not to send it RRQs at more than a
certain frequency
> - and for good
> reasons.  And it would look a little odd if you were
allowed to
> send "normal"
> RRQs arbitrarily frequently, but keepAlives mustn't
be more than a fixed
> frequency.
>
> If an endpoint's threatening to send keep-alives
every few seconds, as you
> describe, and this is likely to cause you problems,
my advice would be to
> reject the RRQ...
>
> Chris
>
> Gene Schroeder wrote:
> >
> > One common reason the gatekeeper might want to
increase the
> registration TTL
> > is to control the rate of incoming keep-alive
RRQs.  If a gatekeeper has
> > many endpoints registered, and these endpoints
select a very
> low TTL (say a
> > few seconds), then the gatekeeper will be forced
into
> processing a high rate
> > of keep-alive RRQs.  If the gatekeeper does not
require nor
> need such timely
> > information on endpoint status, then IMHO it
should be able to specify a
> > higher TTL in the RCF.  And it seems the endpoint
should honor
> this request,
> > just as if it would honor a lower TTL.
> >
> > Regards
> > Gene Schroeder
> > elemedia

ITU-T Study Group 16

I wrote the
> > > problems about TTL and SEQUENCE OF... on the
interop. I intended
> > > to describe two different problems:

> > > This is true.

... can have empty list.

> > > This is also true.

containing the same
> > > timeToLive or a shorter timeToLive.".
allowed to increase
> > > the timeToLive value proposed by the endpoint in
RRQ, regardless
> > > if the endpoint makes a full registration or a
keep-alive
> registration.

it.

> > > I disagree.  As the endpoint is permitted to
renew its
> > > registration any time up
> > > to the assigned time to live, allowing the GK to
increase time to
> > > live would
> > > have no effect whatsoever (the endpoint would
send keepalives
> at whatever
> > > frequency it always wanted to).  There would be
no effect, so
> > > there's no reason
> > > to change.
> > >
> > > As for your second point about SEQUENCE OF being
permitted to
> > > have an empty
> > > list, this has always been the case.  Is there a
specific problem
> > > with this?
> > > It looks more like a (true) observation than a
problem to me!  I
> > > doubt you'll
> > > get ASN.1 changed in existing stuff to make
things SEQUENCE
> > > [1..something] OF
> > > rather than SEQUENCE OF (even if such a
structure is