Errors / ambiguities / problems found in specs at last, Re: Errors / ambiguities / problems found in specs at last

Jane Hua huajane at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 14 13:47:49 EST 2000

Dear Mr. Gene,

There is an assumption in your theory that the
endpoint may be doing a favor to the network by
providing frequent keep alives. But, What I feel is,
the TTL specified by the endpoint is the value it
seems, it is going to be alive. (The definition of
being alive here may mean the agreement duration with
the service provider or it may be the time for which
you are present in the cyber cafe...). This way, the
endpoint is telling that it intends to use the
services of the Gatekeeper for this much duration.
   Now, the Gatekeeper, in opposition to this, may say
that I need to know every nth minute that you are
still there. The reason may be, every nth minute, the
gatekeeper will like to change the security
information. By forcing the endpoint to reregister
every nth second, it can change the security
information.
   And, as you yourself have said that the Gatekeeper
has better knowledge of the condition of the network.
So, given the maximum time the EP wants to work with
the gatekeeper, the GK may select the optimum value of
the TTL, which will always be less than or equal to
the TTL.crumb=v8.e34f9bxp, Dear Mr. Gene,