[sip-h323] Re: H323/SIP Interworking - way forward

Orit Levin orit at radvision.com
Tue Mar 7 15:25:09 EST 2000

Hello folks!
Scoping our work in terms of scenarios...
There are a lot of possible topologies that we would like to address. It
will be difficult to prioritize among them because it depends on each
company niche. I think that an exercise, done by the authors of
"Interworking Between SIP/SDP and H.323" Internet Draft, is a great example
for this statement. In all cases it would involve Gatekeeper/Proxy and
Gateway of some kind, as either logical or physical entities.

In my opinion, the first requirement for our work should be defined as: "the
end devices should be interoperable regardless of signaling protocol they
support". The fastest way to address this requirement is to cover the
topology where the end users are connected to a super-Server supporting
both H.323 and SIP and solving the IWF as an internal logic (including
address translation). The outcome of this work should be the recognition of
protocols' details or/and features preventing from transparent (to the
users) interworking. Then we can either profile further or, alternatively,
feed the new requirements into the protocols.

It is, by no means, prevents us from discussion about more complicated
topologies. Nevertheless, without solving the simplest case, it is hard to
get focused.
My two cents,
Orit Levin
RADVision Inc.