static vs dynamic configuration

Anatoli Levine alevine at RADVISION.COM
Tue Jun 20 09:54:06 EDT 2000

Charles,

presence of the Gatekeeper introduces simple benefit to the H.323 network -
manageability. Now, in your "dynamic" configuration, you can freely move your
gateways around, change their IP addresses, change supported services, aliases,
phone numbers and so on, and the only entity which should be aware of all these
changes is Gatekeeper - also please note that it can be updated automatically
via RAS messages. It means that when you do have a Gatekeeper, anyone who needs
to place calls inside of your network, or anyone who will call into your network
from outside need not to be aware of any changes in gateway configurations.
Additionally, Gatekeeper might provide a wealth of add-on services, like line or
group hunting (when it will look for available gateway among the group which can
terminate your call) and others.

Anatoli