On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Pete Cordell pete at TECH-KNOW-WARE.COM
Tue Jun 6 12:59:53 EDT 2000

Bob,

Thanks for your comments...

At the moment I can't see any benefit in doing a bit of H.245 before doing
fast start.  Fast start is really only saving you a round trip, and if you
don't do any fast start for that period, then surely you might as well have
done it using H.245 anyway.  I might be missing something, so please explain
what you have in mind.

As starting H.245 kills off fast start in current systems, I was assuming
that once the fast start data in the new arrangement had been handled it
would also be killed off.  Put another way, from my point of view I was
seeing the fast start as a one shot deal which are effectively fast virtual
OLCs.  My gut feeling is that allowing them later introduces complications.
I would be interested in other peoples comments on the implications of this.

I think I prefer your suggestion about sticking with the early H.245 tunnel
rather than switching to the existing tunnel.  I was merely trying to align
the text with what Paul J proposed.

Pete.

Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware