H.323v4 and the Implementers Guide

Paul E. Jones paulej at PACKETIZER.COM
Sun Jun 4 20:41:01 EDT 2000

Paul,

It would be very easy to define a package for use in the H323-UU-PDU to
contain H.245 that could be tunnelled in parallel with fastConnect.

It would simply involve a package that included a single parameter of the
raw type.

For simplicity, I would suggest that an endpoint can indicate support for
the feature by sending a parallel H.245 package in the fastConnect message,
even if they are empty ones.

If it was successfully determined that the parallel H.245 tunnel was
supported by both endpoints, then you would use the package based H.245
tunnel from then on in preference to the existing H.245 tunnel (this is to
avoid any sequencing issues that may result if both tunnels were used.
Alternatively you could say 'you may use one or the other channel, but not
both at the same time.')

I would then suggest that the tunnel thus negotiated would be controlled by
the same boolean flags that control the continuing existence of the existing
H.245 tunnel.  This is very efficient, and allows re-use of the existing
procedures.

Personally I would prefer this to adding a new parallel H.245 tunnel in the
H323-UU-PDU.

If other people will let me have their comments on the principle I can
refine the ideas, and perhaps in collaboration with other, define some text.

Pete.

Pete Cordell
pete at tech-know-ware.com