ASN.1 Changes in H.225.0v3

Paul E. Jones paulej at PACKETIZER.COM
Fri Jun 2 15:13:46 EDT 2000

Francois,

Although this is an important question, answering it one way or another does
not necessarily answer the question of mixed fast start & tunnelling.  The
basic point is that what you are advocating the allowance of is expressly
forbidden in earlier versions of H.323.  The BEST answer from this would be
that Q.931 applies (it's my personal feeling that it applies everywhere it is
not specifically over-ridden in H.225.0 or H.323) and the receiving
(early-version) endpoint rejects the call immediately.  This is the best answer
because it at least means behaviour is well-defined.  The alternative is that
Q.931 does not apply in this area, and the behaviour of the receiving endpoint
is undefined - some will work, but we have no sure way of knowing how many will
not - at which point I refer you to Mr Long's words about a standard being a
contract of sorts.  This is the ITU, where there is a requirement that new
versions interoperate with old ones.

To put things another way, I have nothing against putting these two things into
setup messages together.  What I do object to is calling the resulting
standards H.225.0 and H.323 (with whatever version number).  If, however, you
want to put them together in a new pair of standards, called (say) H.225.1 and
H.323.1 (for which you'll need the approval of lots of people) it might be an
idea to clean up the whole thing a bit, learning from some of the mistakes made
in H.225.0/H.323...

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road

listserv at mailbag.intel.com