On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Francois Audet audet at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Thu Jun 1 08:49:22 EDT 2000

> Paul,
>
> We agreed at the Osaka meeting to allow a SETUP to contain both the
> fastStart and h245Control, but it has not been officially
> approved by the
> ITU.
>
> As it stands right now, I don't think I can agree to include
> it in H.323v4
> on the grounds that it breaks backward compatibility with
> V2-- I just don't
> see a clean solution here.

It doesn't "break" anything. The call will still proceed.

> I'm opening to hearing more suggestions, but as you pointed
> out, there are
> two issues:
>   1) H.323v2 states explicitly that it is illegal

There are a lot of things that changed from v2 to v4. That's the role of
versions.

>   2) There is no way to know what version to destination EP is before
>      sending this illegal message

That would apply to any single change that we do on H.225.0 and H.245.