[robustness]Comments on TD-42/Osaka

Terry L Anderson tla at LUCENT.COM
Tue Jun 20 10:07:25 EDT 2000

Rich Bowen wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Rich Bowen wrote:
> >
> > > Robustness folks,
> > >
> > > A couple of comments on TD-42/Osaka -
> > >
> > > 1) While adding the ASN.1 from TD-42 to the draft H.225.0 v4, I noticed
> > > the following paragraph about using StatusInquiry as a keepalive
> > > mechanism:
> > >
> > > "The element closer to the called party shall send StatusInquiry
> > > periodically (this is the direction of least traffic during established
> > > calls).  The period should be configurable.  Two seconds is the
> > > recommended default, in order to allow detection of failure before other
> > > messages timeout.  The selected value must be added to StatusInquiry so
> > > that the recipient can also monitor failure without an additional
> > > StatusInquiry/Status exchange in the opposite direction.  The recipient
> > > system needs only to maintain a timer using the indicated value as a
> > > timeout."
> > >
> > > This clause indicates that the period at which StatusInquiry is sent is
> > > also the amount of time that the receiving system should use as a
> > > timeToLive timer.  This arrangement would result in a race condition
> > > since the next StatusInquiry would be expected at the exact moment that
> > > the timeToLive timer was due to expire.
> > >
> > > IMHO, the StatusInquiry period and the timeToLive should be separately
> > > configurable, both having default values defined in Annex R, with the
> > > obvious restriction that timeToLive shall be greater than the
> > > StatusInquiry period.
> >
> > What we had in mind is essentially a duplication of the RAS lightweight
> > registration method.  There timeToLive is indicated by either GW in RRQ or
> > GK in RCF (RCF is the definitive) and is the only parameter.  It is up to
> > the GW to register enough earlier or the GK to allow registration to live
> > enough longer to avoid the race.  I would guess in practice that most
> > systems do both.  I see no reason the same cannot work here.  I would assume
> > that the recipient would add some suitable padding to the time before
> > concluding failure.  I see no reason to carry yet one more field in the
> > message.
> >

> Actually the way the timeToLive has been handled in the LW RRQ has
> created some confusion in deployment, because different vendors use
> different algorithms to determine when to send the next RRQ.  I think a
> standard approach makes network administration simpler.
>
> A more typical approach in other protocols I'm familiar with is to
> define the amount of padding, and optionally allow it to be configurable
> (e.g., via a MIB object) to allow network tuning.  Note that this
> doesn't add another field to the message, because there's no need to
> communicate the padding value between endpoints.
>
> For example, one approach might be for the called endpoint to set the
> timeToLive sent in the StatusInquiry to be the sending period plus a
> padding value.  The padding value could be defined in the standard to
> have some range, with a default value of say 1000ms.  No padding would

Well I have no objection to "padding" or having it configurable, however, I see no
reason for the standard to define it to be "configurable" if it does not effect
any message fields.  Current H.323 standards don't specify such implementation
details.  It WOULD be appropriate (IMHO) to state max and min values but whether
they are fixed or configurable in an implementation seems inappropriate.  Yes,Yes
I realize I wrote (I wrote that paragraph) that the timeToLive should be
"configuable" and I believe that this was also inappropriate.  It should have
stated that "the period is not defined by the standard".  This is really similar
to RAS message timeouts.  The standard lists some suggested values but does NOT
define how they are implemented (hard coded or configurable).

I believe there are reasons an implementation may want to choose different values
for timeToLive depending on other factors and so should not be fixed by the
standard.  But while there should be "padding" I am not sure what other factors
would lead me to vary the padding.  What about stating that the padding should be
1/2 the timeToLive value or some other fixed fraction?

Terry L Anderson              mailto:tla at lucent.com
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   1704572 at skytel.com