On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Thu Jun 8 00:54:36 EDT 2000

Paul,

A couple of other things regarding TD-26a.

1. We need to say something about the H.245 timers for the Setup-tunneled
TCS and MSD messages. Since the responses could be delayed well beyond the
normal H.245 timers or not even received at all, we need to effectively
disable the timers for these messages. Otherwise, the H.245 procedures could
require the calling EP to declare a protocol error. This just cleans up some
loose ends. How about adding the following sentence to the end of 8.2.1?

"For the TerminalCapabilitySet and MasterSlaveDetermination messages
tunneled in Setup, the corresponding H.245 timers, T101 and T106, shall not
expire."

Note that the behavior associated with the H.245 MSDSE N100 counter stays
the same. I guess we don't need to mention this, though.

2. Besides rewording, replace "it is recommended" in the following sentence
with "should."

Before:
"In order to expedite the Terminal Capability Set negotiation and
Master/Slave Determination, it is recommended to tunnel the H.245
TerminalCapabilitySet and MasterSlaveDetermination in the Setup message in
h245Control."

After:
"The calling endpoint should tunnel the H.245 messages,
TerminalCapabilitySet and MasterSlaveDetermination, in the Setup message. If
the called endpoint acknowledges these H.245 messages, the H.245 session can
be available to the calling endpoint one round-trip delay sooner than if the
calling endpoint did not tunnel these messages."

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.
"Primum non nocere"