On TD26 - Fast TCS and M/S negotiation in H.323v4

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Fri Jun 2 22:11:33 EDT 2000

Paul,

While not ideal (nothing is), that's a safe, workable solution. I like it.
Are you proposing adding the new component to the H323-UU-PDU or the
Setup-UUIE type? Both locations have their merits. This then should be the
new text for section 8.2.1/H.323: "The calling endpoint shall not include
both a fastStart element and encapsulated H.245 messages in h245Control in
the same Setup message. However, the calling endpoint may include both a
fastStart element and encapsulated H.245 messages in earlyH245Control in the
same Setup message." And then explain what the called endpoint is supposed
to do when fastStart and earlyH245Control are present. While we're at it,
maybe we should define a separate type, i.e.,

H245Control ::= SEQUENCE OF OCTET STRING OPTIONAL
                                                -- each octet string may contain exactly
                                                -- one H.245 PDU

But now how do the two components, h245Control and earlyH245Control
otherwise relate to each other, i.e., when fastStart is not included? Should
we say that if one is present the other shall not be present? That would be
the clearest, IMO. Not much is gained by allowing both.

Remember, the first rule of standards revision is (everybody repeat after
me)...
        "Primum non nocere" ("First do no harm.")
                - the Roman physician, Galen

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.