Mr.L's TG configuration feature

Li Li lili at ss8networks.com
Thu Jul 13 09:29:16 EDT 2000

Hi, Jaakko:

You are right that someone else should also take part in the technical
discussion other than the two of us. Editor's main role is to perform
moderation while providing fair chances for all.

First of all, mobile IP did a very good argument while they designed the
protocol, and bandwidth argument has been one of them. One of the points has
been that bandwidth can be changed if the frequency of the "agent discovery"
(similar to our MGA)message is changed. If you look into specs of mobile IP
very carefully, you can see it (If needed, I can discuss with you in great
detail what mobile IP did in the upcoming August'00 meeting). Even mobile IP
folks prefer that "agent discovery message (similar to our MGA)" should be
used instead of "agent solicitation (similar to our GRQ)." they have placed
restrictions in  using the "agent solicitation (similar to our GRQ)" message
in mobile IP, but not for the "agent discovery message (similar to our MGA)"
message.

However, 3GPP folks did not like this. They like to use mobile IP's "agent
discovery" message, but do not like multicast. So, they like to use "agent
discovery" message using the unicast method. They have designed an
implementation method how "unicast" should be done. As a result, they have
created a "pseudo dynamic" environment for agent discovery. I guess that
their primary concern has been to save the bandwidth not by reducing the
frequency of the message, rather by making the situation less dynamic for
the mobile environment using unicast method so that only bare minimum
bandwidth is used.

I am inviting technical comments from all members if they have any concerns
related to the MGA message as proposed by AT&T contributions.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy