White paper draft of H.323v4

Paul E. Jones paulej at PACKETIZER.COM
Sun Jul 9 02:39:54 EDT 2000

For those interested.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Lennox [mailto:lennox at cs.columbia.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 3:17 PM
mailto:iptel at lists.bell-labs.com
Subject: [IPTEL] CPL: H.323 issues

The primary area still missing in the CPL spec is H.323 work.  I'm
unfortunately not very knowlegeable about this, so if some H.323 experts
could assist with this it would be very helpful.

Here are the general issues that I feel need to be addressed:

1.  I understand that work is in progress to define an H.323 url as an annex
of the H.323 specification.  What is the status of this?  Are copies of
available?  Will these URLs be appropriate to use in CPL <location> and
<address-switch> tags?

2.  Is the unpacking of H.323 addresses as specified for CPL's
<address-switch> address subfield matching correct, and complete for at
least a useful subset of H.323 addresses?

3.  What free-form strings does H.323 signalling carry that a CPL should be
able to match?  I understand H.225 has a "data" string, but it's not clear
to me what it's for.

4.  Is there some H.323 counterpart to SIP caller preferences and callee
capabilities that should either be used or mapped into CPL, for <lookup> and
<remove-location>?

Since Our Esteemed Working Group Chair has expressed a strong interest in
moving CPL along to Proposed Standard soon, these points *need* to be
addressed.  If no one else comments on them, I'll have to guess based on my
own (very limited) understanding of H.323, which will probably mean a much
weaker CPL specification all around.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox at cs.columbia.edu