Comments on H.225v4 and H.323v4

Pete Cordell pete at TECH-KNOW-WARE.COM
Thu Jul 6 07:47:19 EDT 2000

Rich, Karl,

The problem with calling the construct in question a parameter is that it
also contains parameters.  When the text explaining it goes on about the
parameter and the parameter, you don't know what variant of parameter is
being discussed.

Also, it does not convey the intention of the construct.  If a feature
requires multiple parameters to communicate, they would all be contained in
a single construct.  GenericParameter may give people the impression that
multiple 'genericParameter' constructs would be used for this.  Hence the
naming is mis-leading.

The concept (which I'm sure Paul* must know a lot better than I do - we're
merely the bozos that conceived and wrote it) is that the features are
negotiated, and then the features are used.   The package - as was - is what
the features use to actually communicate.

If calling it  genericFeature is not acceptable then call it
genericFeatureData, or featureData.  Calling it genericParameter is just too
confusing, and it does not convey the intention of contribution.  The term
genericParameter should not be used.

Pete.

*I can't see where Paul said the comment that this refers to BTW

Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware
pete at tech-know-ware.com
+44 1473 635863