H.225 white draft

Pete Cordell pete at TECH-KNOW-WARE.COM
Mon Jul 31 12:23:40 EDT 2000

Terry,

The reason for the difference is that originally, neededFeature was in the
cofferenceGoal as I felt that would have more of a chance of achieve the
right result in a backwards compatible manner.  Hence it was split from the
other items.

Concerns have been raised about the effectiveness of having the field in
conferenceGoal, and hence the editors with a few supporters moved the
neededFeatures next to desiredFeatures.

However, my feeling is that this is even less satisfactory than where it was
originally (i.e. guarenteed to not achieve the desired effect every time).
Therefore, at the moment I intend to recommend removing neededFeatures from
SETUP all together.

Therefore, at this stage it is probably best not to include a FeatureSet in
SETUP.  However, depending on the decisions taken in Geneva, (i.e. if
neededFeatures remains where it is in the white paper) then changing to
FeatureSet would be more appropriate (it provides consistent parsing and a
whole bunch of other benefits etc.)

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Pete Cordell