[Robustness] Minutes of the 7/20 call

Terry L Anderson tla at LUCENT.COM
Tue Jul 25 11:20:42 EDT 2000

Rich Bowen wrote:

> Terry,
>
> Just one comment -
>
> Terry L Anderson wrote:
> > I checked our changes in the white draft of H.225.0v4 and removed all
> > our ASN.1 that has already been incorporated.  I now show only changes
> > that are still needed.  I have not yet done the similar check with
> > H.323v4.
> >

> I think we should consider whether to keep these fields in H.225.0 v4
> since Annex R is not yet determined.  We might want to keep the door
> open for further refinement of these fields before Annex R is
> decided.  Maybe we should add these in H.225.0 v5, or we could add
> them between H.323 versions via the new genericData fields.

The discussion in Osaka was to add them but not be specific about their use
("for further study") which is what you added in the "white". Are you now
questioning that?

The problem is one of timing.  Annex R is planned for determination in
November but would depend on these fields.  Annex R's decision would occur
much before H.225.0v5.  So the intent was to include in v4 those fields we
know we need and have the two current Annex R procedures (Method A and
Method B) stable for determination in November.  We would have some
flexibility in describing their usage in the Annex but could not add more
fields until v5.

I am reluctant to use "genericData" unless we view that as permanent.
Otherwise we end up having to exchange Annex R version numbers to decide
where to put data, etc.

Terry L Anderson              mailto:tla at lucent.com
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   1704572 at skytel.com
Lucent Technologies/ Voice Over IP Access Networks/ Applications Grp
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla