[H.323 Mobility:] About GK discovery

Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO rrroy at ATT.COM
Tue Jul 11 20:47:16 EDT 2000

Hi, Jaakko:

Let me clarify few things as follows:

1. All RAS messages are OPTIONAL.
2. H.323 mobility is applicable for all networking environment: Wireless
[pico-, micro-, macro-cell]), wireless LAN, and/or wire-line network.

Therefore, all wireless environment is NOT bandwidth restrictive.

So, all H.323 entities are supposed to understand all RAS messages following
the same principles. That is, if one does not like to use MGA, they will use
GRQ (a simple timeout mechanism will do this). Please see how mobile IP is
using these mechanisms. We do not need to re-INVENT the wheel.

With respect to unicast implementation, kindly see how 3GPP is implementing
mobile IP's "agent advertisement (similar to our MGA)" message. As I told
you in my earlier emails sometime ago, the unicast method becomes
psedo-dynamic considering the mobile environment.

Last of all, it would be helpful to understand why mobile IP is using both
"agent solicitation (like our GRQ)" and "agent advertisement (like our MGA)"
for their solutions. Please also see why 3GPP has also accepted the mobile
IP's both messages in their bandwidth restrictive environment. 3GPP's
wireless networking environment will be one of our targets for
implementation of our mobile H.323 solution. Mobile H.323 solution will NOT
fly if the lower layer mobility (like 3GPP's mobile IP, IETF mobile IP)
solution is NOT complemented or supported.

H.323 mobility solution MUST provide a "hook" to interwork with the mobile
IP.

As an editor, I suggest to take a break for now and let other members
participate in technical discussions because you are doing both - writing
all you stuffs directly into the document as if you are making it a
Rapporteur contribution as well opposing other contributions. The question
is: Who will act moderator when there are disputes?

I would not raise this question if you would explain why IETF and 3GPP folks
are using both "agent solicitation (like our GRQ)" and "agent advertisement
message (like our proposed MGA)" of mobile IP to solve the mobility
problems.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy