In Defense Of Cooperation

Mike Buckley mikebuckley at ATTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 27 21:36:27 EST 2000

While agreeing wholeheartedly with Paul Jones's reply to Francois Menard I side
with Tom's in his conclusion that the Megaco/H.248 collaboration has been a
success.  I would go further, and say I think it has been an outstanding
achievement, considering the odds that were stacked against it.

I would list among these:

1.  Deep philosophical differences of approach between the two Standards bodies
in the way a Standard emerges and the decision processes involved,

2.  Strongly held technical beliefs on both sides; arising partly from 'religion'  and
partly from conflicting strategic objectives,

2.  Vested commercial interests on the part of some of the key players,

3.  A marketing campaign going on in the background, aimed at replacing H.323
with SIP/SDP,

To talk of mistrust and suspicion is to grossly simplify the situation.

Having said all this, I would like to thank and congratulate all involved for bringing
this effort to such a successful conclusion.  In particular, I think we all owe a
debt of gratitude to Tom for the way he has negotiated all these obstacles with
patience and good humour and for the way he has straddled two very different
cultures and two very different processes.

I would also like to thank John Segers for the long hours of frustrating work
involved in producing a well written and well structured document from the
amorphous scratchings he inherited.  Its a thankless task being an ITU editor
and I think John deserves a special thanks, particularly for the 48 hours or more
that he went without sleep during the meeting to get the final version of the
document ready.

Despite all these problems, I believe we will see a lot more of this type of co-
operation.  Why, because its the only approach that makes sense.  The market
demands interoperability in the area of VoIP and this can only be achieved by
collaboration between the two  Standards bodies involved.

Going forward, I would suggest that an MOU is drawn up early in the process not
at the end.  A detailed MOU is not something to apologise for, its just good
business practice, and a practice that results in the minimum of
misunderstandings and mistrust.

Finally, let's not let the process(es) on each side get in the way of progress.  I
think the less process involved the better.  A document should be approved when
consensus agree its ready for approval.  Two sets of beaurocratic hurdles don't
help matters, they just slow things down.

Mike Buckley

____________________ Begin Original Message