[H.323-SIP/Internet] The reason.

Dave Walker drwalker at ss8networks.com
Fri Feb 25 17:34:50 EST 2000

It depends what the outcome of the work is.  The first step must be to
define what our goals are.  I don't want to pre-judge what the outcome
is going to be until I know what we're actually trying to achieve.

One possible eventual outcome could be an H.246 type document that
provides a message by message, field by field mapping between H.323 and
SIP, or we might only define a high level profile that states which
procedures an implementation should and should not use in order to ensure
interworking (e.g. "H.323 endpoints shall use fast connect").  So it's
not clear that we're going to need an ITU recommendation, possibly a BCP
RFC or some ITU equivalent might suffice.  If the SIP and/or H.323
specifications need to be changed to address our interworking goals,
it's again not clear that new standards are needed, both SIP and H.323
can tweaked if needed.  If its determined that one or both of the
protocols needs a major overhaul in order to support interworking, then
it's probably a sign that the goals for interworking weren't appropriate.

What we need to do is to ensure that all interested parties are able to
participate fully in the discussions.  That kind of open process is the
norm in the IETF.  I'd be unhappy to see a situation where I had to
spend thousands of dollars to join a consortium just to access a few
drafts or subscribe to a mailing list.

The argument is often made that the ITU has the H.323 experts and the IETF
has the SIP experts, but in fact the overlap of these experts is probably
larger than they'd care to admit.  Despite what is written in the meeting
report, there is enough interest in SG16 to keep the work moving there.
There is obviously interest in the IETF as well.

I agree with the proposal that a BOF be held at the next IETF where
interested experts can attempt to resolve the scope of the work and gauge
the IETF's interest in owning it.  Due to the reluctance shown by SG
management in the recent SG16 meeting, the door certainly seems open to
allowing the IETF ownership.  Input to the BOF should at least be an
I-D based on the document written by RadVision, as well as the
Singh/Schulzrinne draft.

Dave Walker
SS8 Networks
Ottawa Canada