question on video transcoder or gateway

wmshen wmshen at PUBLIC.WH.HB.CN
Tue Feb 15 22:03:38 EST 2000

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Edgar Martinez [1]" <martinze at cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re:ALL-IP workshop held on 7-9 Feb 2000 in Nice (News release &
Docs)
To: TIPHON : Entirely <TIPHON at LIST.ETSI.FR>

Dear Scott,

The work shop I believe was done to  benefit both MWIF
and 3GPP.

What do they have that we do not?  3GPP and MWIF are addressing
the Radio Access interface on IP. Motorola has try to include the Radio
Access
into TIPHON WG7 but have not progress too far.

If TIPHON really wants to get into the full end to end fixed and
wireless/mobility
network All IP solution. We need to address IP Radio Access.
We need to work with Tiphon's WG2 architecture team
and add a Radio Access Plane.  So we can recommend
requirements around the Radio (wireless) access plane.

In any event without the Radio access on IP we have "no real Wireless
mobility with handover" same problem in SG16.

Right now both SG16 and TIPHON is working only on Roaming!

Motorola will again try to bring up the issue of the direct radio access
IP
interface to
the IP network and adding a Radio Access Plane to the TIPHON
architecture.
In the next TIPHON meeting and I hope we can get more support.
I hope we also Liaison with MWIF and other wireless all IP groups
looking
for an "real" all IP end to end solution. And not just use the IP
network
(TIPHON)
as a simple VoIP/media Transport or simple Home Location database
depository
for a 3G Hybrid Mobile Network as it has been proposed in other groups.

Ed

Scott Cadzow wrote:

> This is a summary and pointer to the 3GPP all IP network workshop. It should
> be stressed that TIPHON on offering to present our work were brushed aside
> and not invited to this workshop.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

Edgar Martinez - Principal Staff Engineer
Email mailto:martinze at cig.mot.com
FAX 1-847-632-3145 - - Voice 1-847-632-5278
1501 West Shure Drive, Arlington Hgts. IL 60004
Public: TIPHON & Other Stds - http://people.itu.int/~emartine/
Private:TIPHON & Other Stds - http://www.cig.mot.com/~martinze/