[H.323-SIP/Internet] The reason.

Paul Long plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Sun Feb 27 14:24:23 EST 2000

Paul,

A few comments.

1. My company is not a member of the ITU, but I have attended a few
non-rapporteur standards meetings (working-group meetings?) and was only
required to request permission to attend from the chair, not a governmental
agency. And I doubt whether anyone would be challenged if he or she just
walked in uninvited, although that wouldn't be polite. :-)

2. I think Francois was referring to the fact that the IMTC said that as of
the beginning of this year they were going to close the H.323 _implementors_
reflector so that only IMTC members could participate. I and others
complained. For small companies, even the IMTC's $7500 yearly dues are
prohibitive. Smith Micro can afford that but not the ITU's $30,000 dues. The
IMTC hasn't closed the reflector so far, so they either forgot (quite
likely) or have backed off without formally stating a change in policy.

3. Although it may irritate some folks to pay anything, the cost of a
published ITU document is usually insignificant, e.g., 13USD, and the drafts
are available at no cost.

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.