[H.323-SIP/Internet] The reason.

Paul E. Jones paul.jones at TIES.ITU.INT
Sun Feb 27 01:15:02 EST 2000

Folks,

I agree that the goal of a standards body is to create specifications to
allow interoperability.  However, this is "delicate" territory.  This work
is not similar to creating a new annex to H.246 wherein the ITU specifies
interoperability between various systems or protocols defined elsewhere in
the ITU.  This work involves describing how to interwork an ITU system with
an IETF RFC.

It's not an impossible task, but one that may lead to tremendous debate.  It
is quite obvious that some members of the ITU and some members of the IETF
have very basic philosophical differences.  I can tell you that some members
of the IETF will quickly reject anything the ITU does to standardize
interoperability.  I can also tell you that some of those members will also
reject anything ETSI does, as well.

This is not to say that I am opposed to such an effort-- if companies
support the idea, that is enough of an indication to me that people feel
it's necessary and should be done.  However, if we head down that path, I
really believe that this should be a joint effort between the ITU and the
IETF.  Why?  Because there are strengths and weaknesses with both protocols
and one could easily introduce bias into such a specification in such a way
as to highlight the strengths of one protocol and the weaknesses of the
other.

And, of course, everyone here knows that H.323 is far superior to SIP,
right? :-)

Again, I do not disagree with the work.  However, as sad and pathetic as
this statement may sound, it's true: the IETF members (especially the
supporters of SIP) have little respect for the ITU and, unless we do this
jointly, our lone efforts are likely to not be well received.  I've already
heard enough negative remarks about the efforts the ITU is undertaking
(especially in SG13) to describe new Internet protocols; the claims are that
"that is work the IETF does and the ITU has no business doing it".

It has already been suggested that a third party may be the better choice
for such a work.  Mr. Taylor mentioned that ETSI may already be doing this.
Did I understand that correctly?  If that's the case, and if we can get the
IETF to agree to allow them to do such work, we should probably let them do
the work.

Paul