[H.323 Annex H Mobility] Clarification Request

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Tue Feb 22 11:17:57 EST 2000

Hi, Nicolas and Jaakko:

We agreed that the "location area" will not be included. So, any reference
to the location area shall be removed.

With repsect to TMSI, LMTI, MSRN, I guess, both Lucent's and AT&T's (+
Motorola's in Red Bank) contributions have proposed new aliases. For
example, H.323 uses alias like E.164, name, URL, email, network addresses
(e.g., IP, ATM) etc. Similarly, the aliases like TMSI, LMSI, MSRN, and
others can also be used.

Please note that aliases are the abstraction in the H.323 layer. In H.246
Annex E, we have also seen why UMI needs to be added as another alias in
H.323. From that point of view, we do not see any problems.

We also like to see comments of other members on this topic.

However, we like to see whether this abstraction of TMSI, LMTI, and MSRN in
the H.323 layer causes any problems in the radio link layer. If it is so, we
will definitely consider NOT to use those aliases in H.323.

Nicholas - Is it possible to justify how the abstraction of TMSI, LMTI, and
MSRN is cusing a problem in the radio link layer? May be a contribution will
be helpful to explain this. We feel that it will rather be helpful as we
have seen in the case of H.246 Annex E.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy